Erin Chase of $5 Dinners is on a mission to help busy, overwhelmed home chefs learn to spend less money on groceries and get organized in the kitchen.
Published: March 1, 2018
By: Erin Chase
If you’re on Facebook very often, you’ve likely come across a recipe by Erin Chase of $5 Dinners. Chase is the home chef behind www.5DollarDinners.com and author of The $5 Dinner Mom Cookbook series.
She’s on a mission to help busy, overwhelmed home chefs learn to spend less money on groceries and get organized in the kitchen. Beyond the money savings, she’s helped many people come to enjoy cooking again and help them stop feeling stressed and overwhelmed with feeding their families every single night.
And she’s helping Birmingham cooks this month with a recipe that can be used with the Instant Pot, the latest cooking craze and the “it” gift for Christmas 2017. If you got one for Christmas and haven’t used it yet, get it out and try this delicious-looking, hearty twist on chili.
Instant Pot Beef & Black Bean Chili
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes plus pressure build and release time
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 Tbsp minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 – 15 oz. cans black beans
- 2 – 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup hot water
- Shredded cheddar cheese, garnish
- Sour cream, garnish
- Fresh veggies or salad, as side dish
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the minced onion and garlic powder. Drain and add the browned ground beef to the pressure cooker insert.
- Note: You can skip the skillet and brown the ground beef using the Saute Mode of your Instant Pot. Tap on Saute, adjust to More/High, and brown the ground beef with the minced onion and garlic powder. Drain, if needed, and return the browned ground beef to the insert.
- Stir in the black beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper with the hot water into the electric pressure cooker insert.
- Steam valve: Sealing.
- Cook on: Manual/High for 15 minutes.
- Release: Natural or Quick.
- Prepare veggies.
- Serve Instant Pot Beef & Black Bean Chili with optional garnishes and veggies.
When not whipping up delicious, frugal meals in the kitchen or helping streamline work schedules, Erin Chase can be found out on a run, chasing her 4 boys around the neighborhood, or taking an escape from the south Texas heat at the pool. She lives with her husband, four boys and one furry boy in San Antonio, TX.