Cooking for holidays can be both stressful and expensive. Follow these tips to create an affordable and easy Easter meal that is sure to be a hit with your family!
Published: March 25, 2018
By: Courtesy of ALDI
Author Website: Click to Visit
Easter is all about festive family gatherings and good food. Whether you’re celebrating with your closest or hosting a larger crowd in your home, try these simple tips to keep everyone happy and full without blowing your budget.
Plan ahead: Don’t let the pressure of hosting the holidays stress you. A well-constructed game plan can help you stay on track with your spending goals. Before heading to the grocery store, take inventory of what you already have, and create a list of the items you need. These simple steps can save you time and money in the long run.
Find affordable ingredients and supplies: Grocery shopping can be a daunting task, especially with seemingly endless options. Shopping at a grocery store like ALDI helps you find everything you need in one quick and easy shopping trip, including high-quality, fresh, affordable foods for your Easter spread. While there, you can also pick up other Easter essentials like baskets, toys, bakeware, decor and more.
Keep leftovers in mind: Food (and money) can go to waste when leftovers go uneaten. Instead of tossing out your forgotten leftovers, incorporate them into a whole new dish. Try these Holiday Ham Sliders using leftovers from main dishes such as Slow-Cooked Maple Ham.
Find more tips and recipes for an appetizing Easter at ALDI.us.
Slow-Cooked Maple Ham
Recipe courtesy of Chef Alyssa, ALDI Test Kitchen
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 hours, 15 minutes
20 ounces Sweet Harvest Pineapple Chunks
8 pounds Appleton Farms Smoked Ham Butt
1 cup Specially Selected 100% Pure Maple Syrup
1 cup Baker’s Corner Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Stonemill Cinnamon
1 tablespoon Burman’s Dijon Mustard
1 teaspoon Stonemill Ground Black Pepper
- Pour pineapple into large slow cooker. Place ham on top of pineapple, flat-side down.
- In small bowl, combine syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, Dijon mustard and pepper. Pour over ham.
- Set slow cooker to low. Cook 4-5 hours.
- Remove ham; keep warm. Skim fat off top of remaining liquid in slow cooker.
- Pour liquid into small saucepan, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and cook until reduced to desired consistency.
- Serve sauce on the side, or heat oven to broil and glaze ham. Broil 3-4 minutes for caramelized crust.
Holiday Ham Sliders
Recipe courtesy of Chef Linsey, ALDI Test Kitchen
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Carlini Canola Cooking Spray
3 ounces Happy Farms Preferred Cranberry White Cheddar, shredded
3 ounces Happy Farms Preferred Plain Havarti Cheese, shredded
12 ounces L’oven Fresh Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
2 tablespoons Burman’s Spicy Mustard
1/4 cup sliced red onion
12 ounces Appleton Farms Spiral Sliced Half Ham
1/4 cup sliced green apple
4 tablespoons Countryside Creamery butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon Stonemill Garlic Powder
1/4 teaspoon ground Stonemill Sea Salt
1/2 teaspoon Stonemill Parsley Flakes
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Line 9-by-13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, and coat with cooking spray.
- In small bowl, combine cranberry white cheddar and havarti cheeses. Set to the side.
- Remove entire package of rolls, and while keeping rolls connected, slice in half horizontally.
- Place the bottom half of rolls in baking pan. Spread with spicy mustard.
- Top with red onion, ham, apple, cheese mixture and bun tops.
- In small bowl, combine butter, garlic powder, salt and parsley flakes. Pour over sandwiches.
- Cover with foil, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and separate sandwiches. Serve immediately