Ho Ho Ho! It’s Off to Eat We Go…
Published: December 1, 2017
By: Lynn Grisard Fullman
You’ve bedecked the tree. Bought and wrapped gifts. Helped with classroom parties. Mailed cards. Now, ready or not, the holidays are upon you.
But wait – what in the world will you feed your family and friends? You may have a few tasty menu ideas, but time is running out.
Not to worry. Several Birmingham-area restaurants and caterers have just what you need to make your holiday complete. Some offer carry out; others are open on Christmas Day.
Below is a look at several places where you can find food for your holidays:
Zoës Kitchen (Brook Highland, Crestline, downtown Birmingham, Patton Creek, SoHo/Homewood, The Summit, Trussville, Vestavia Hills, https://zoeskitchen.com/) offers Mediterranean family meals that may be served immediately or transferred to holiday dishware. Small meals serve three to five; large, four to six. The challenge will be selecting among the many options: kabobs (chicken, shrimp, steak, veggie or salmon); Mediterranean chicken; chicken orzo pomodorina; roll-ups (chicken, steak or spinach); Greek salads; hummus with pita bread or cucumbers for dipping; braised white beans; fresh fruit; roasted veggies; potato salad; rice pilaf; pasta salad, and marinated slaw. Dessert options include a tray of chocolate chip or lemon cookies or chocolate cake. (Some for now and some to send home with guests).
Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa (4000 Grand Ave., Hoover, 205-916-7677, rossbridgeresort.com), central Alabama’s only four diamond resort, plans holiday specials and hours. According to Wade Combs, director of food and beverage, breakfast will be served at Brock’s (known for its Mediterranean cuisine) on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day from 6:30 to 11 a.m. The Clubhouse, serving contemporary American options, will be open Christmas Eve (11 a.m. to 9 p.m.) and Christmas Day (11 a.m. to 8 p.m.).
For those seeking a holiday escape, the resort’s overnight special, Magical Holidays at the Castle, includes a $50 resort credit to use on meals plus a 10 percent discount on golf and spa retail. Among the fun will be gingerbread, fireside stories, s’mores and classic holiday movies. Continuing through Jan. 30, the package starts at $159, based on availability.
Ashley Mac’s (Cahaba Heights, Inverness and Riverchase, 205-822-4142, ashleymacs.com) plans a multitude of items for carry out. Among those will be frozen sides (serving six to eight or 10 to 12) with such options as cheesy twice-baked mashed potatoes, creamy mac and cheese, baked cheese grits, brown sugar and bacon green beans, squash casserole, cornbread dressing, and sweet potato casserole. Sour cream biscuits are another big holiday seller along with a multitude of pies, brownies, mini-cupcakes and cakes, including the ever-popular strawberry and vanilla.
The Bright Star (304 Ninth St. North, Bessemer, 205-424-9444, thebrightstar.com) is offering a holiday dinner package ($150). Serving eight, the package, which requires some prep, includes cream of turkey soup, green beans, Greek potatoes, slow-roasted turkey breast, cornbread dressing, giblet gravy with cranberry plus a choice of pies (peanut butter, pecan, chocolate almond, coconut and sweet potato). Orders should be picked up by 6 p.m. on Christmas Eve. Several add-ons also are available. Alabama’s oldest restaurant, The Bright Star is known for steak and seafood served with a Greek flair.
Miss Dots (49 Church St., Mountain Brook, 205-739-2232, lovemissdots.com) has family-size side options ($25/feeding 10 to 12) with such choices as scalloped potatoes, mac and cheese, collard greens, squash casserole, slaw, black beans and Brussels sprouts with Dijon vinaigrette. For pick up by Christmas Eve, hams also will be available.
Moe’s (Birmingham-area locations, 205-980-8244, sterling.catering.moes.com) offer great catering options a little outside of that “holiday box.” How about a salad, fajita, taco or nacho bar? With catering priced as low as $8.50 per person, relax and let Moe’s do the holiday cooking for you with a choice of chicken, group beef, pork, steak and even tofu. Closes at 3 p.m. on Christmas Eve, and closed on Christmas day.
Mugshots Grill and Bar (Vestavia, Hoover and Uptown, www.mugshotsgrillandbar.com) is offering a free $5 gift card with every $25 gift card purchased, and offers daily happy hour specials from 2-6 p.m. Check out the website or call for holiday hours.
Cheers to you for a joyous holiday season. And cheers to area foodies who have made it oh-so-simple.
Lynn Grisard Fullman is a Birmingham based, award-winning writer who has contributed to newspapers, magazines and blogs.
Open for the Holidays
If you want to escape the house, below is a sampling of area eateries open on Christmas Day.
- Al’s Deli & Grill: 1629 10th Ave. South, 205-939-4278, alsdeliandgrill.net
- Carrabba’s Italian Grill: 4503 Riverview Pkwy., Birmingham, 205-980-1016, open Christmas Eve 11 a.m. – 9 p.m., New Year’s Eve 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. and New Year’s Day 11 a.m. – 10 p.m. www.carrabbas.com
- Denny’s: 224 Daniel Payne Dr., 205-214-3987, dennys.com
- Grand Bohemian Hotel’s Habitat & Social: 2655 Lane Park Rd., Mountain Brook, 205-414-0505, grandbohemianmountainbrook.com/ Reservations needed.
- Great Wall Chinese Restaurant: 706 Valley Ave., Homewood, 205-945-1465, greatwallbirmingham.com
- IHOP: 7748 Crestwood Blvd., 205-956-5502; U.S. Hwy. 280, 205-991-4871, ihop.com
- Mandarin House: 1550-O Montgomery Hwy., Hoover, 822-1761, mandarinhousehoover.com/
- Mooyah: 2117 Seventh Ave. S. and 3439 Colonnade Pkwy., #1000. Open seven days a week 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. Closed Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. Get $5 off instantly when you buy $25 in gift cards, through December 31. In restaurant only. www.mooyah.com
- Post Office Pies: 209 41st St. South, Avondale, 205-599-9900, postofficepies.com
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House: 2300 Woodcrest Place in the Embassy Suites Hotel, 205-879-9995, RuthsChris.net. Reservations needed.
- Sitar Indian Cuisine: 729 20th St. South, 205-323-6500, http://sitarbirmingham.us/
- Todd English P.U.B.: 2221 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. North, 205-307-3700, toddenglishpub.com
- Waffle House: Several Birmingham area locations, wafflehouse.com
- Many Chinese and other Asian restaurants have holiday hours during Christmas and New Year’s Eve. Check your local favorite to see what their holiday hours are – you may want to start a new tradition!
Note: It always is wise to call before going. Remember, too, that hours may be limited.