Discover places in the Birmingham metro area where kids eat free or chow cheaply.
Published: December 31, 2017
By: Lynn Grisard Fullman
The cost of groceries moves ever upward, and dining out becomes increasingly expensive.
What’s a parent to do when feeding the family?
Look for specials, of course. Below is a glimpse at some of the possibilities where kids eat free or at a reduced cost. Always call before going to make sure specials are still in effect:
- Applebee’s Neighborhood Bar & Grill, all Birmingham locations. All day on Tuesday with each adult entrée kids 10 and younger eat for 99 cents from the children’s menu.
- Baumhower’s Wings, Patton Creek (205-403-7474) and Lee Branch (205-995-5151). On Tuesday, one child (younger than 11) eats free from the children’s menu with one adult spending a minimum of $10.
- Beef O’ Brady’s, Helena. 205-624-2333: On Tuesday from 4 to 8 p.m., with each adult meal, one child eats free from the children’s menu. Dine in only.
- Beef O’Brady’s, Hoover. 205-987-9464: On Tuesday, with each adult entrée, one child (12 and younger) may eat for free from the kids’ menu.
- Bruster’s, Vestavia Hills. 205-978-2347: Every day, children shorter than 42 inches get a free baby cone or cup of ice cream. No adult purchase is required.
- Captain D’s, various locations. All day on Thursday, a 99-cent kid’s meal is available with each adult meal.
- Cicis, Homewood. 205-582-8098 and U.S. 31/Hoover: Daily children age three and younger eat for free from the bountiful buffet. For ages 4 to 10 the cost is $3.49. The restaurant’s buffet includes a salad bar, pasta, an assortment of pizzas and several desserts.
- Cowboy Chicken. Inverness. 637-5400. On Monday evenings from 4 until closing, with each adult entrée, one child 10 and younger may eat free from the kids’ menu which has the options of pb&j, a veggie plate or The Cowpoke (choice of two drumsticks or a half breast). Dine in only.
- Dale’s Southern Grill, The Plaza at Riverchase. 205-987-4757: On Monday, one child (age 12 and younger) eats for 99 cents with each adult entrée.
- Denny’s, 224 Daniel Payne Dr., N. 205-214-3987: On Tuesday and Saturday evening from 4 to 9, two children ages 10 and younger get free kids meals with each adult entrée.
- Donatos, Montgomery Highway. Vestavia Hills. 205-824-1112: Every day, kids’ meals ($6.99) include a choice of a 7-inch pizza and four boneless wings; both with drinks included. Be sure to check out the eatery’s collection of sports memorabilia on the walls.
- Firehouse Subs, Alabaster. 205-664-4664: All day on Monday and Wednesday, one child (12 and younger) gets a free kid’s meal with the purchase of an adult medium sandwich and combo.
- Golden Corral, Center Point Parkway. 205-856-6170: Every day children age 3 and younger eat free. For ages 4 to 8 the buffet cost is $5.99; for ages 9 to 12, $6.99. Unlike adult buffet prices, the kids’ buffet includes a drink
- Golden Corral, Lorna Road/Hoover. 205-822-1314: Every day children age 3 and younger eat free. For two children per paying adult, the all-day buffet cost is $4.99 for ages 4 to 8; $5.99 for ages 9 to 12. Drink is included for children.
- IHOP, 5242 U.S. 280 S. (205-991- 4871) and 7748 Crestwood Blvd. (205-956- 5502): Children age 12 and younger eat free all day, every day, with the purchase of an adult entrée. Dine in only.
- IHOP, Wildwood/Homewood. 205-290-0995: With the purchase of each adult entrée, one child (12 and younger) eats free from the children’s menu Sunday through Thursday from 4 to 9 p.m. Dine in only.
- Iron Skillet, McCalla. 205-477-4280: Every day during the summer, children 10 and younger eat free with each adult meal.
- Moe’s Original Bar-B-Que, four Birmingham-area locations: On Tuesday after 5 p.m., with each paying adult, one child 10 and younger may order free from the children’s menu.
- Moe’s Southwest Grill, Vestavia Hills. 205-824-7663: On Tuesday beginning at 5 p.m., one child (12 and younger) per paying adult may order free from the kids’ menu. Dine-in only.
- Mugshots Grill & Bar, Vestavia Hills. (205-824-9030); Hoover/Inverness (205-995-2902); Uptown (205-933-7575): All day on Monday, with each adult entrée, a child 12 and younger may eat for free from the kids’ menu.
- O’Charley’s, Alabaster (205-621-7453); Fultondale (205-849-6401); Homewood/Wildwood (205-942-8001): Every day one child (age 10 and younger) with each paying adult may order free from the kids’ menu.
- Romano’s Macaroni Grill, Summit Boulevard. 205-298-7998: All day on Monday and Tuesday, children (12 and younger) may eat free from the children’s menu.
- Ruby Tuesday, various locations including the Riverchase Galleria. 205-985-0218: As you might expect from a restaurant with Tuesday in its name, on Tuesday from 4 to 7 p.m., with each adult meal, a child may eat free with the kids’ menu. Dine in only.
- Steak ‘N Shake. Hoover (205-982-5789) and Alabaster (205-620-5233): All day on Saturday and Sunday, children younger than 12 get a free kid’s plate with each adult paying a minimum of $9. Drinks and shakes are excluded. Dine in only.
- Zaxby’s, U.S. 280. 205-995-1055: On Monday evenings from 5 to 9, two kids may eat for 99 cents with each adult meal.
A Birmingham-based, award-winning writer, Lynn Grisard Fullman has contributed to newspapers, magazines and blogs.
Visit Birmingham Parent’s Dining Without Whining section for money saving coupons and info from local establishments.