A list of questions designed to help you steer your search
Published: March 1, 2023
By: Courtesy of the American Camp Association
Selecting a camp for your child can be exciting. You know that camp is the right choice. But now you need to figure out which camp is the right choice. The following is a list of questions designed to help you steer your search:
- Is the camp Accredited by the American Camp Association? What other regulations or licenses does the camp follow?
- What kind of training does the staff receive on safety, supervision, mental health awareness, problem solving, and other areas pertinent to working with children?
- What is the most important thing for families to know about your program?
- Is the price all-inclusive, or are there extra charges for uniforms, specialty programs, transportation, tee shirts, trips, etc.?
- Is transportation available and what are the specifics?
- How does your camp handle special diet or physical needs?
- In what way may I communicate with my child while they are at camp? With the staff?
- Are there family visiting days?
- Can you provide references that I may contact?
- What is unique about your camp?
If looking at a day camp:
- Is before/after camp care available? If so, who cares for the children, and what activities are offered? Is there an additional cost?
- Are meals provided? At what cost?
- How and where do I drop off or pick up my camper?
For more information about camp including helpful tips on finding the right camp, contact the American Camp Association New England or visit www.acanewengland.org.