It’s the age-old question of every parent: what to get the kids for Christmas?
Published: October 31, 2022
By: Sponsored by Gaylord Opryland
Most children have no trouble dreaming up a Christmas list as long as their arm, but as parents, we want more for them than toys that may break in a few months, baubles that will get lost under the bed, and technology that will soon be obsolete.
This Christmas, why not give the gift of time together, family fun, and memories that will last long after the wrapping paper is tossed? Give the gifts of experiences, travel, and adventure.
Close to home, but worlds apart
Situated in the heart of Nashville is Gaylord Opryland Resort. A short drive from Birmingham and just minutes from Music City’s legendary attractions including the Grand Ole Opry®, Ryman Auditorium®, Wildhorse Saloon®, and the General Jackson® Showboat, Gaylord Opryland is a perfect choice for families looking for a fun holiday getaway close to home.
From Nov. 11, 2022, through Jan. 1, 2023, the resort will be transformed into a winter wonderland. Millions of lights will twinkle, dozens of trees will sparkle, and hours of festive entertainment and activities will be offered for all ages.
And while Gaylord Opryland itself can’t be wrapped and put under the tree – with nearly 3,000 guest rooms and suites it would be a tight fit – event and attraction tickets make great stocking stuffers. An overnight stay would certainly spread Christmas magic!
ICE! featuring Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer™
The coolest attraction of all is ICE! featuring Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. This holiday spectacle, kept at a frosty 9 degrees and hand carved by expert artisans out of 2 million pounds of brightly colored ice, is back after a two-year hiatus.
In this one-of-a-kind retelling of the iconic Christmas film, guests will see Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Hermey the Elf, Yukon Cornelius, Clarice, The Abominable Snow Monster, Santa, and all their friends come to life in more than 10 scenes from the classic 1964 Christmas television special. See Santa’s workshop, the Island of Misfit Toys, and how Rudolph saved Christmas, all carved from ice.
And there’s no need to pack your coats! Even though it’s cool inside, Gaylord Opryland provides parkas to keep guests warm and toasty as they zoom down epic ice slides, marvel at larger-than-life displays, and wander through the winter wonderland.
Grammy-Award winning entertainment
Music on your loved-one’s wish list? Have a toe-tapping good time during The Oak Ridge Boys Christmas in Tennessee Dinner Show. GRAMMY® Award-winning and Country Music Hall of Fame members The Oak Ridge Boys will celebrate the holiday season with a five-week residency as part of Gaylord Opryland’s 39th annual A Country Christmas event. The Oaks Christmas in Tennessee Dinner Show will feature a delicious holiday meal prepared by the resort’s culinary team followed by The Oak Ridge Boys and their band performing Christmas classics, new favorites, and many of the timeless hits that have shaped their legendary career.
The two-hour show is family friendly and free for children under three.
Festive fun for all
With signature events like ICE! and The Oak Ridge Boys Christmas in Tennessee Dinner Show, classic holiday activities including photos with Santa, and thrilling experiences like ice tubing, there’s something for everyone to enjoy during SO. MUCH. CHRISTMAS. at Gaylord Opryland Resort.
For the thrill seekers:
- Hop on a tube and race friends down an ice-covered hill.
- Get a rush sliding, spinning, and bumping friends and family in Bumper Cars.
- Enjoy a yuletide glide on an outdoor ice-skating rink.
- Build and toss real snowballs at Snowball Build & Blast.
For the chill seekers:
- Let your Christmas creativity run wild at the Gingerbread Decorating Corner.
- Put your sleuthing skills to the test at the resort-wide Reindeer Games™ Scavenger Hunt Featuring Rudolph and The Misfit Toys.
- Take a festive 12 Days of Christmas riverboat cruise on a quarter mile-long river that winds through the resort’s Delta Atrium.
- Experience a private horse-drawn carriage ride to enjoy the resort’s outdoor decorations and lights.
- Universal Music Group Nashville will again host Parade of Trees, featuring some of country music’s biggest names and showcasing the artist’s uniquely themed Christmas trees on display in the resort’s garden atriums. While visiting the trees or viewing them online, guests will have the chance to donate to win “Once in a Lifetime VIP Experiences” donated by the artists, to benefit mental health services provided by charitable beneficiary First Responders Children’s Foundation, including a new collaboration with Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals® for the local Monroe Carell Jr Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt.
- At Build-A-Bear Workshop®, bring your imagination to life and create a furry friend with personalized outfits, accessories, scents, and sounds.
SoundWaves Water Experience
For those looking for different kinds of thrills and chills, there’s SoundWaves. This unique four-acre, three-level upscale water attraction features dedicated recreation zones for adults, young children, and families.
Kept at a comfortable 84 degrees indoors year-round, SoundWaves features energetic rides, winding wave pools, immersive music, and an extraordinary modern oasis for visitors of all ages to enjoy. Its unique roof also allows guests to sunbathe indoors – even in wintertime!
SO. MUCH. CHRISTMAS.
After a fun, festive day of memory making, unwind with a meal at Old Hickory Steakhouse, Ravello, Cascades, Solario Cantina, or set sail on the General Jackson Showboat for a dinner cruise and live holiday show.
There’s no better way to celebrate the holidays than by gathering at Gaylord Opryland Resort. This season, give a gift that can’t be wrapped but will be remembered forever. Unwrap the magic of Christmas at Gaylord Opryland Resort.